REQUIREMENTS FOR QUICK REFERENCE GUIDES (§ 262.262(b)and(c))
EFFECTIVE DATE: May 30, 2017
On November 28, 2016, EPA published a final rule entitled, “Hazardous Waste Generator Improvement Rule”, presenting over 60 revisions and new provisions and 30 additional technical corrections to the hazardous waste generator regulatory program.
EPA now requires new large quantity generators (LQGs) submitting contingency plans to include a Quick Reference Guide that contains information most critical for immediate response to an event. Existing LQGs must include Quick Reference Guides when they update their contingency plans. This applies to areas where hazardous wastes are being accumulated (including points of generation and satellite accumulation areas).
The contents of the Quick Reference Guide are as follows:
• Types/names of hazardous waste and associated hazards
• Estimated maximum amounts of hazardous wastes
• Hazardous wastes requiring unique/special treatment
• Map showing where hazardous wastes are generated, accumulated or treated at the facility
• Map of facility and surroundings to identify routes of access and evacuation
• Location of water supply
• Identification of on-site notification systems
• Name of emergency coordinator(s) or listed staffed position(s) and 7/24-hour emergency telephone number(s)
Cassie Lee is an Account Manager and Business Development Professional with over a decade of experience in environmental consulting. You can reach her at email@example.com or 317-983-1719 with any questions or for assistance on services mentioned in this post.